I MET FATIMA BALA: WELL, SORT OF.

 



I was halfway through reading The Lies We Tell, the newest book by the new Northern sensation, when I saw that Fatima Bala would be coming to Rovingheights Bookstore in Kaduna. So, naturally, I decided to go see her.


I met Fatima Bala. Well, sort of. 


I almost didn't go to the bookstore because I was already late, but I decided to go anyway. And that was when I realised that Kaduna has a LOOOOOOOOOOT of readers.


But now I have questions. Are these loyal readers who came out to support their own? Or are they readers who just came to get content for their social media pages? Are they even readers at all?


Me, I don't know o. 


I just know that I had to stand and watch her from oh-so-far away.


Fatima Bala at Rovingheights, Saturday August 15, 2026.




I arrived during the question and answer session. Someone stood up with a microphone and said, “Assalamu Alaikum, Fatima Bala.” She sounded like she must have been rehearsing it in her head before finally getting the courage to say it. It sounded cute anyway.



A reader during the Q&A session.



The writer answered her by imitating her voice, which caused a little chuckle in the audience.



Honestly, apart from that, I don't think I heard anything else. I noticed the Chinua Achebe and Zaynab Alkali pictures on the well and decided to test my photography skills instead. At least i had something to do.



Chinua Achebe, Zaynab Alkali and someone i don't quite recognise on the wall.



The picture actually came out really well.


There were so many muffled voices coming through the microphone, or maybe I just wasn't comfortable standing there, let alone paying attention. I was beginning to sweat, so I eventually gave up. I took a couple of pictures, though, just to get some receipts and probably console myself that even though I didn't get to ask my questions or get Fatima Bala to sign my copy of the book with my name and my baby's name, at least I got to see her from far away.



Fatima Bala, zoomed-in



This bookstore is very packed today, sha.



I came here a few weeks ago, and there was practically nobody here. Today, it was so full that people were even standing outside. 



I guess it's good afterall to support your own. 



So, whatever you do or where ever you are, go support your own when you see them doing well. Celebrate people and cheer them on. Stop being a hater. 



A section of attentive audience 



But it got me thinking. Are there social, cultural, religious, ethnic and class-based divisions in how books are produced, marketed, received and celebrated? Do these things influence how we respond to books and literature? Does an author's ethnicity, religion, culture or social class affect how much we embrace their work? Do we sometimes support a book because it speaks to our own identity or because we want to see “one of ours” succeed?


Is there politics in literature?


Because, to be honest, I've read better books.


Anyway, i went outside to meet my mum, who was standing with my baby on her back. She tried convincing me to go further into the crowd and miraculously find a seat, sit down and do everything I came there to do.


“It's too tight Mummy,” I said in defeat.


“Try more,” she said.


“Okay, take pictures then,” she added.


So I took pictures.


At least, I got something out of it. 



An exhausted, hungry and peopled out reader  



On our way home, we stopped at my favourite shawarma place in Kaduna and got some for ourselves. Ah! How did i not take pictures of my shawarma? It would have made this narrative sweeter, literally 😂.


It became really windy, and that was our signal that rain was coming. Everywhere suddenly became dark, even though it was only around 4 p.m.


“Thank God we left there on time,” I said to my mum. “You don't like driving in the rain anyway.”


And just like that, my Fatima Bala adventure in Kaduna came to an end. I didn't get to ask her my questions. I didn't even get a proper view of the writer. But I saw her, from very, very far away.  I didn't get my book signed, but at least I got pictures and shawarma. Priorities!!!!!!! I'll take that as a win. 



My copy of "The Lies We Tell"


Comments

  1. I'm so so much intrigued to grab this book and read, this review is so intriguing and I must say you are so persuasive and you have this way of describing things just enough to pull me in, without giving too much away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I have an extra copy that I’d be happy to send to you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts